Wednesday 16 November 2011

Pearson faces press

Training: Pearson started his new job today
Leicester City Football Club's Chief Executive Susan Whelan has unveiled Nigel Pearson as the club's new manager in a press conference at the King Power Stadium.

Introducing Pearson to the media she said: "When we started the process of looking for a manager we wanted someone with Championship experience and who could provide an immense strength of character to motivate and lead the players. The man we found was Nigel and we're delighted to welcome him back to Leicester City."

Whelan also thanked caretaker bosses Mike Stowell and Jon Rudkin for their efforts before Pearson faced questions from the media.

"[The last twelve days] have felt very long, but it's good to be back and I'm glad everything's been resolved," he said, "I'm leaving a club which we worked exceptionally hard to build up but I'm delighted to be back at Leicester. I love positive pressure and I get a positive feel for the place. Obviously I've been here before but the club is now in a different place and in a different position in terms of ownership."

City vice-chairman Aiyawatt 'Top' Raksriaksorn spoke of his desire to support the man he believes can take the Foxes back to the top flight, but was not drawn on any specific amount of money Pearson could be offered to spend come January.

"I think it's too early to discuss money and how much we want to spend," said Top, "It's important to see now how the squad are and in training this morning Nigel had an opportunity to see where they are. But my ambitions are for the team to be promoted and I will support him in any way he needs.

"He has the passion to motivate the players, the staff and the fans. In him we have chosen the right man to bring the team to the Premier League."

Facing the media: Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn, Nigel Pearson
and Susan Whelan

Asked about why he came back, Pearson was happy to state his affection for a club he led to the League One title, "It's a club which I have an affinity with, I had a very good time here before and I think there is a lot of potential to achieve the aims the owners have. I do believe we've got a very good squad here and it's an incredible opportunity for myself and my staff."

"I'm always confident in my own ability and that of the support staff," added Pearson, "We have the backing of the board who know what's needed for us to be successful. I have to ask myself the question, 'Do I want to be here?' and of course I do, it's such a big club and we belong in the Premier League.

"I didn't expect it - I didn't see it coming - but I'm glad to be here."

No comments: