Tuesday 8 May 2012

Heskey favours return to Leicester

Glory days: Heskey won the League Cup
twice with Leicester
Leicester City academy graduate Emile Heskey favours a return to his former club as contract talks with his current side, Aston Villa, have stalled.

The 34-year old former City, Liverpool, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic and England striker has admitted that he would be interested in a return to the East Midlands, where he burst onto the scene as part of the successful Martin O'Neill teams of the late 1990s.

Heskey, a two-times League Cup winner with Leicester, told BBC Sport that there is a likelihood of him rejoining his boyhood club, with his family still living and working in the city.

"There's a possibility that might happen. I'm not going to turn anything down," he said, ""I haven't got a club to be honest. There are no contract talks so I'll be looking elsewhere. Obviously, my contract is up, so I just take it day by day and see what crops up."

Villa have refused to offer Heskey a new deal at Villa Park, with his appearances this season limited to those as substitute. He has not scored for Alex McLeish's ailing side since August. With Steve Howard having left the King Power Stadium the place for a target man is up for grabs and, with Heskey seeking a new job, a return to Leicester would not be unlikely - despite his age.

"I'm 34," he added, "I still feel I can play, so I don't see why I need to retire just now. From when I started, I always said I wanted to play at the highest level, wherever that might be. You always strive for that. I'm actually starting my coaching badges, so that is another avenue I'm going down now. But I'm going to have a little break, and then see what offers there are."

Heskey's £11 million move to Liverpool in 2000 remains as Leicester's record transfer fee received and he would be a popular signing for under-pressure Nigel Pearson to make. His England career earned him criticism for a lack of goals, but vital contributions in his 66 caps earned him a steadfast reputation for power and brawn in attack.

No comments: